Our Sydney & Chatswood dentists can restore your smile with Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain Veneers are an effective and simple way to completely restore your teeth, giving you the confidence to really smile. Dr Finkelstein is happy to meet you for a consultation at our Sydney or Chatswood Dental Clinic to assess your current situation and provide you with the best recommendations to reinvigorate your smile. Please call 9262 7778
Porcelain Veneers are commonly used in the following situations:
- You have spaces between your teeth that you want to fix
- If you do not like the look of your broken or chipped teeth
- If you have stained or leaking or washed out fillings
- Permanently stained yellow or brownish teeth, possible from medication
- mis-shapen or broken teeth
Porcelain Veneers can enhance and correct the following imperfections:
- Porcelain Laminate veneers are one of the most visually pleasing and appealing means of constructing a more attractive smile
- Minimal tooth reduction is involved with porcelain veneers (roughly 0.5 mm), meaning that they are a more conservative restoration in comparison to crowns
- Porcelain veneers allow one to change tooth positioning, size, shape and colour.
Although porcelain veneers are not the only option of treatment for visual tooth irregularities, they provide an extraordinary restoration when they are used.
Important Facts about Porcelain Veneers:
- A porcelain veneer is a minimally invasive treatment as it necessitates approximately .5 mm of tooth reduction.
- Local anasthetic is generally not needed in the preparation of Porcelain Laminate Veneers, however it is recommended that patients who are sensitive to pain are given local anaesthetic.
- The time for a porcelain laminate veneer to be created is approximately 1 week. Due to this short time frame, it is generally not essential for any temporary covers to be placed on teeth. However, if short-term covers are needed, they can generally be created at the time of treatment.
- During the time taken between the preparation appointment and the insertion appointment, it is normal for patients to experience sensitivity to hot and cold beverages. This is because a section of the enamel casing their teeth has been removed. This sensitivity should stop once the Porcelain Laminate Veneers are inserted on the teeth.
- At the insertion appointment, which is usually longer than the initial appointment, the patient has the option of having local anaesthetic or going without for the insertion of the laminate. The laminates are secured using a light sensitive resin, which is dried and hardened using a white light.
- The laminates are extremely durable and will generally not be damaged by food contained in typical diets. However, it is essential that patients avoid any food that could potentially twist the laminate, as the porcelain has low malleability strength. Foods to avoid include toffee apples, chewing on bones and opening nutshells with teeth.
Upkeep of Porcelain Veneers
It is quite easy to maintain the state of your Porcelain Laminate Veneers. The following suggestions are guidelines that should be followed in order to maintain your new veneers:
- Brush and floss teeth as usual as this will not damage your laminates. Recommended toothpastes are any that are non-abrasive, as this will ensure the laminates are not impaired. By following these simple rules, you will ensure the visually appealing state of your laminates will be maintained in the following years.
- It is common that patients will suffer from mild sensitivity to hot and cold food and beverages in the weeks following the veneer placement. This is normal as it is associated with the quantity of enamel left on your teeth subsequent to their preparation and the closeness of the nerve. This sensitivity should only last a few weeks and if it persists, do not hesitate to call us.
- Your average diet should not cause any problems with the laminates, however it is essential that you steer clear of any food that could potentially alter the shape of the laminates.
- If you know that you grind your teeth or clench them in your sleep, please let us know as we may advise you to wear a guard at night to reduce the pressure placed upon your teeth.
One week after your laminates have been placed, we require you to revisit us for a vital check-up and evaluation of your treatment. During this appointment we can assess how the treatment and tissue response is going and can answer your unanswered questions.